Monday, September 6, 2010

A True Test


This gorgeous Labor Day weekend, I spent roughly 16 hours putting together a metal shed that arrived in a flat box. No amount of holes that didn't line up or missing pieces or drills that wouldn't stay charged could stop us. We did it! What amazed me the most about this project was not the fact that we now have an actual 8x6 shed adorning our backyard, but that I completed this project without bickering or fighting with my handyman partner. To me, it was a true test of our relationship. Not only did we complete it sans yelling, but we actually had fun doing it.

There were many opportunities for yelling, shit-talking, and sarcasm, but neither of us engaged in the behavior. We worked it out, took our time, took breaks, took deep breaths, and even talked about how we could be yelling at each other, but it would only make it worse, since I am trying desperately to get this damn nut on this bolt and by you yelling, I would only get more anxious, drop the nut, and have to start all over. As we approach our marriage to each other, weekends like this help to cement the fact that I truly am marrying someone who I want to grow old with. Someone who I want to be my friend forever.

We have many other projects planned for our new house. We want to paint the exterior. We would love to finish the basement. It would be wonderful to have a grander back deck. It will be interesting to see how we tackle them in the future. This house will be a labor of love, with our hearts poured into our projects, which will not only strengthen our surroundings, but also strengthen our relationship and our love for each other.

My heart warms when I think of Joe. There has never been anyone else that I have consistently wanted to be around. Things are just so easy with him. To think back on all I have been through before meeting him, and all that he has been through as well, it's incredible to see how far we have come. Although most of the time it feels as if we are already married, I still can't wait to make it official.

I am quite a lucky girl to be surrounded by so much good, love, and beauty. Joe starts back at school tomorrow as a 7th and 8th grade teacher, and I know he will be great. Our schedules will change and it will be back to our busy days and busy nights. We will certainly find time for our home projects and for each other. We start swing dancing classes in a few days, and although I am extremely worried and nervous about it, it's nice to know that I have such a solid partner, dancing next to my side.

1 comment:

  1. I love house projects! Just try to get as many of them done before having kids (that is, if that's in your plans)....we always look around our house and wonder how much more we could have done if we weren't surrounded by little people! :)

    ReplyDelete