Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Planning a Wedding? How Niiiice....

In the South, a woman uses the phrase "how nice" to describe something she doesn't particularly like. For fear of appearing unladylike and rude, she will use "how nice" instead of giving criticism or disgust directly. That's the first thing that pops into my head when I think of planning a wedding, except it is said with an extremely exaggerated Southern drawl.

Photobucket

I guess I am being slightly dramatic. It hasn't been that bad, and parts of it have actually been fun.
We have had a couple location changes, multiple date changes, and pointless dress drama. I received two sample wedding invitations in the mail today and I have to say they were the wimpiest excuse for an invitation that I have ever seen! If that is what an inexpensive, earth-friendly, recycled invitation looks like, then I don't want one.

There are still lots of gaping holes in our planning process. We need to work on our Save the Date video. We need to gather addresses and email addresses of friends and relatives. We need to start thinking of the most important part, which, coincidentally, is also the part I've spent the least amount of time on - The Ceremony. Funny how I've put about 30 minutes of thought into planning the ceremony but I've done about 12 hours of research on the honeymoon.

Overall, it's going to have to be a process of give and take. There are things I'm not flexible on (outdoor wedding, civil ceremony) and there are things that I will probably end up being flexible on (allowing a DJ to run the show although I am absolutely dreading it, food choice). To me, the most important items are the music and the food, so I think I will certainly welcome input and suggestions from others. I want people to eat well and dance well.

There have been two nights that I have woken up, heart pounding, due to nightmares about my wedding. Both times, my aunt is informed an hour before that she will be catering the wedding. My aunt is not a caterer. It is tortuous to watch. Also, we don't have a ceremony in my nightmare wedding. All of the people sit down in rows to watch Joe and I and all we can do is stare at each other, dumbfounded. We are at our wedding and we completely forgot to plan a ceremony. I believe these dreams are just showcasing things in my mind that I have not planned yet, and helping me to be aware that I will need to put effort and attention into these details. I was so relived when I realized the nightmares weren't real.

The most important part of this wedding is celebrating the love that Joe and I have for each other. All of this other stuff doesn't matter, because it wouldn't be happening if Joe and I weren't crazy about each other. As long as that comes across to our guests and family, then we have done our part. It will all work out, DJ or no DJ.

Photobucket

1 comment: