Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Ups and Downs of a Bike Commuter


The title to this entry is silly, because I still don't consider myself a "real" bike commuter. I certainly don't consider myself a phony, but the whole idea and image of ME as a cyclist kinda freaks me out. I moved to Portland, one of the most bike-friendliest cities in the world, a year ago and have embraced bikes and cycling-related things in general. It was out of necessity, since I share a car with Joe (fiance) and he works much further from our house than I do. It had been nearly a decade since I was in the habit of tooling around on two wheels, but I dedicated myself to learning the rules of the road. Although clumsy and awkward at times, I have grown to be quite fast and find myself racing other bikers and sometimes even cars. They don't know that I'm racing them, but I pretend that they do. I have had one serious spill (asshole construction workers tend to put their damn construction signs in the bike lanes), countless flat tires, and one stolen bike light. Overall, it's been a pretty smooth transition into a new world that's experienced from the hard, unsquishy seat of a bicycle.

It amazes me what one notices while on a bike. The smells, good and bad, are much stronger. Tell me the last time you felt overwhelmed with the aroma of roses while in the driver's seat of a car? Being that I work in Old Town, which is home to both infinite homeless people and VooDoo Donuts, my olfactory glands hone in on the delicate mixture of hot dough and urine while pulling up to work. Now why would you ever want to miss that?!

Bike commuters also get to experience the outdoors in full force. Rather than the cool AC blowing in my hair, I have REAL wind tossing my tassels. Also, being that I live in Portland, I get to enjoy the 9 months of rain from the perch of my seat. After living through 8 months of rain, I finally purchased rain paints. I have worn them 2 times. They will be put to good use next season.

We recently moved to a new house, which increased my one way ride from 2 miles to 6 miles. It has been a challenge, especially since I refuse to wear "cycling gear" and choose to ride the 6 miles in my work clothes. Although I look like a major fool, with my slacks tucked into my socks, and sometimes in heels, it cuts down on prep time in the morning. For now, I will continue this way, but might make some changes in the future. Already too-tight pants become unbearable while hunched over handlebars.

So am I a true bike commuter? I suppose. The elements don't stop me from saddling up. I take my bike 80% of the time. I have a relationship with a bike mechanic. There is still something unsettling about thinking of myself as a cyclist. Maybe it's how I look in a helmet.

4 comments:

  1. Nice pic. Very nice : ) And great description of your transformation. I wish I could ride more. I hate the burbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I dont' plan to be a stalker commenter, ask Mr. Joe...well really I don't know what he would tell you. But I just had to comment on this post also because you reminded me of me back in the day when i was a bicycle commuter. So now I am going to write a blog about it and if you want to read my stuff go to www.personalrecycledshopper.com, but you don't have to, I just think you have a knack for telling a story so I plan on reading them and on days, like today, when I am feeling chatty i will comment, on my hermit days I won't. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tina! It's great to hear it! I have no idea what I am doing, but I do like telling stories.
    I will be sure to check out your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your life and feelings! I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete